Saturday, August 20, 2016

Frankensteining a new face

A very real problem was finding a model to depict Christ.  Of course my first choice would be to try and find a male around age 30 with a full beard, long hair and the demeanor of God so that I could paint a portrait from a live model.......Well, that's a tall order.  Believe me, I tried.  No such luck finding a live model with those parameters. So, I did what every modern illustrator/artist does.  I took photos of about 6 different males and chopped up the photos in photoshop and reassembled them into a new human face.  It's called "frankensteining" and it is a valuable skill set to have for any artist who wants originality and to not infringe on copyright laws.....and get sued or called out as a cheat by fellow artists!
   This face had to have the correct lighting, the correct gentleness of mouth, intelligent eyes looking the right direction, the strongest nose of middle east white male race, etc. etc.   Considering that the finished size of Jesus' head would only be about 1 inch in height, this composite that I created gave me enough data and information for me to do the portrait.  Hooray for photoshop again!

No comments:

Post a Comment