Saturday, August 20, 2016

Costumed model of Christ in dappled light

 After doing some online research and watching several historically accurate movies of the time period, I sewed a costume for Jesus Christ using a slightly iridescent polyester fabric for the undergarment, a beige linen for the over robe and a textured drapey linen like scarf for the last layer of drape.  He is supposed to be the resurrected Christ, so ragged robes and rough home made woven flax are not needed here. I opted for no other color or patterning on the clothing.
 Part of my composition is to place Christ in dappled light so that I can really play up the shadows and light on his robes.  This will really add a cool area of interest without my having to resort to the bright yellow "glow" around him that many artists use to signify his holiness.  I've planned the composition so that he is well placed in the dark shadows of the building.  That way, I can make his robes and face really pop out of the painting, and it will create the dominant focal point, even though it is located to the left of the painting so far.
    The camera does not capture the many colors of light or the wonderful shades of color that are in the shadows.  From artistic experience, I know the colors are there, and I want to exaggerate them in an impressionistic style, so I will have to invent them based upon what I know about the color of light and the ways that I can punch things up by introducing a yellow blue tourquoise and a hot blue in the shadow areas of the white.  This was the most fun to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment